Thursday, May 26, 2011

A peek inside my craft room...

Even though it has been a couple of years since we started the remodeling/addition on our house, I am still trying to get my craft room just right. It is a continuous work in progress, but I like how it is coming along. My main criteria in designing my room was good lighting, and I wanted "stations" to accomodate the variety of crafts that I do. I wanted a large table in the center of the room for scrapbooking. I needed a sewing area and a place designated for my yarn and crochet supplies. I also wanted to have space for a computer so that I could hook up my Gazelle, my die cutting machine. I have a large light in the center of the room and track lights on three of the four walls so that I can work in there at all hours of the day and night.
All of my scrapbooking supplies are stored in the white cubes stacked on the wall to the right as you walk in the door.
Most often reached for tools and tiny embellishments are stored in baskets on shelves under my scrap table.
My sewing area. Love, love, love that sewing machine! It is a Brother SE-400 sewing and embroidery machine. You can even download embroidery patterns from a computer onto it. I still have a lot of learning to do with this machine to be able to use it to its fullest capacity.
All of my thread is visible and easily accessible hanging on the wall above my sewing table. The canvas prints and "The Simple Things" sign were all local flea market finds. All purpose thread is on the right, and embroidery thread is on the left.
Sewing supplies, patterns, and fabric are stored on shelves under the sewing table.
Sewing tools that I reach for most often are kept in this silver tray that a friend bought for me in Mexico.
My sweet husband bought me a dress form for my birthday! I love it!! Here she is naked. ;)
And here she is with an apron that I made. It still needs a little bit of work, but not too shabby for my first sewing project, no? Notice that I keep my large rotary cutting mat hanging on the wall when I'm not using it to prevent it from warping.
Some of my favorite yarns are stored in cubbies for easy access and visibility.
A view of the computer area. This is where my kids can usually be found. ;)
I keep jars of flowers on a decorative shelf above the computer. The canvas prints were another local flea market find.
I hope you enjoyed this little tour of my creative space! It is always changing as I add things here and there and rearrange and reorganize, but that is part of the fun of having my own space!

14 comments:

mustangkayla said...

What a cool cool space! Love it!

Laura said...

Love it Deb! Your yarn supply sure has grown. LOL!

Nancywithajones said...

love you scrap space. I need some more cubes. we are about to work on redoing my room it needs upgrading... niceee

Nima said...

So nice to see your creative space..thank you for sharing..

Pam said...

Love it! I have organized craft room envy. ;-) I must get one of those sewing tables. Perfect! Thanks for sharing! :-)

bakscrap said...

Thanks for sharing your space. I hopped over here from Crafty Storage. I too am a sewr and scrapbooker, which means LOTS of stuff to store/organize. I really LOVE all your canvas prints, they would worj so nicely in the m=new craft space I am planning, I will be on the lookout for something similar.

Debbie said...

LOVE the room and LOVE the apron, I would love to learn sewing but I am not sure I have the patience! It would come in handy for me having 4 kids I think! TFS.

I am a new follower :)

SeattleStamper said...

Thank you for sharing your crafting space!

Powers Fam said...

I love your thread supply! I just realized this last week that I need more variety in my color choices. i usually just buy white, black, red, navy, and pink. You have a whole rainbow! Such a wonderful space. Thanks for sharing!

Skooks said...

This looks amazing! Hurray for organization that promotes even more creative endeavors!! :)

Kate said...

I love your space! I really love the Longaberger Baskets!!

Karen said...

I LOVE your space! We have the same pink/brown tool tote ;)

Izzy Anderson said...

Oh, great space. I love having the table in the middle. When I redo my room, I want to move my table from the wall to the middle. I've seen others do that too and it seems to make the most sense to me even though my room is small.

I love all your little touches. That apron rocks!

Unknown said...

It's looking good. Lighting is an important factor in interior design that most people often forget, especially for a room where you do your craft. And appropriate partitioning of your craft room into separate divisions also helps.

Frances Herrera Interior Design